How have humanistic and social science paradigms shaped the field of media studies?
- Reflection on Curation & Screencasting
- The ML Smartphone: Asking Critical Questions
- Make a Connection between Videos and the Readings
- Create a Histry Timeline CODE: 31032
- Introduce LEAP 2: Make a News Media Connection
- Homework and readings for next week
WHAT IS MEDIA LITERACY?
- “What is Media Literacy?” Video by Alicia Haywood and Joey Papa.
- “Radio Redux.” Gardner Campbell IGNITE talk at #DML2015.
- Concision. Video excerpt from the documentary, “Noam Chomsky and the Media,” by Mark Achbar and Peter Wintonick, 1992.
- “Media Effects.” Video by World Bank, AGORA CommGap.
ROAR – ATTACK ON TITAN VERSION
- “Roar – Attack on Titan Version.” Video by MoMo O/Brien.
PREPARE FOR CLASS ON SEPTEMBER 28
THEME: Propaganda Then and Now. How has the concept of propaganda influenced the study of news and journalism, advertising and public relations?
- Watch the Videos on this Page. As you view, make your own connections to the readings.
- VIEW: Watch at least 2 screencasts created by members of the #COM520 class and offer a comment in the space provided (or via email).
- READ: Bernays, Edward. 1928. Propaganda. New York: IG Publishing. After reading and viewing, make a comment on the Flipgrid where you identify key ideas, generate questions and make connections to your life, career and experiences.
- VIEW: Watch the first 30 minutes of “Century of the Self,” (below) a BBC documentary series by Adam Curtis, produced in 2002.
- REVIEW the guidelines for LEAP 2: Make A News Media Connection
OPTIONAL VIEW: Sharyl Attkinson on Astroturfing.
DUE: October 5. LEAP 2: Make a News Media Connection