November 9, 2016
- Reflections on Research Apprenticeships
- Wikiality by Stephen Colbert
- Take the Wikipedia questionnaire
- Review Hargittai and Shaw research using Hypothes.is digital annotation
- CREATE a Top 10 List: What Everyone Needs to Know about Wikipedia
- Introduction to Wikipedia: what’s missing here?
- Review key ideas from Chapter 7 and work collaboratively to create a precis for Wikipedia
- Teams analyze and discuss the “Talk” about Wikipedia entries on Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton
- Perspectives on NPOV
- What Can We Agree On? Obama on Media Literacy
- What questions does this chapter raise for you? How does the study of Wikipedia relate to our exploration of media literacy? How does the study of Wikipedia relate to our exploration of propaganda? How might research be used to address these questions?
- Review expectations for LEAP 4 and Final Paper/Project
PREPARE FOR CLASS ON NOVEMBER 16
Empowerment and Protection: Why do people alternate between optimistic and pessimistic perspectives on media?
VIEW: David Weinberger, “The Future is a Platform” (see below)
VIEW: Three-Minute Theory: “What are Societies of Control?”
READ: Van Dijck, The Culture of Connectivity Chapter 8 (pps 154 – 199)
After reading, compose two responses and post to our Muut Discussion Board. Please read the comments of others who have posted and reply to at least 2 participants.
THANKSGIVING BREAK: No Class on Nov 23
DUE: LEAP 4: Reflective Essay, Nov 30